Sunday, April 27, 2014

Can you guys help me, please?

I’m not too proud to admit that there are some occasions that I need help. This would be one of those occasions. It’s not anything life or death. Just a couple of things that my google skills don’t seem to be strong enough to help me figure out.

Before this brain surgery stuff happened, I made the decision that I wanted to start running. Then all of my medical junk happened and that wasn’t exactly an option. If you can’t tell by now, if something doesn’t happen, I’m going to go off the deep end. I need a physical goal for myself that I know I can obtain. It’s hard for me to make a daily appointment at the gym with these stupid headaches I tend to get a lot. And if I take the good meds to knock it out, on a treadmill or elliptical at an incline and high resistance is the last place I need to be. I just went to get my flip-flops off of my shoe rack thing. I had my belt hanging on there and I managed to knock my eye bone with it. That hurt like crap. This is what I’m dealing with. This is what I’m learning to accept as my new normal, at least for a while.

May is brain tumor awareness month and, surprisingly enough, there is no fundraising 5K or half marathon or anything in the actual month for it. I think it’s in Ft. Worth in October or November. So my aunt wants to do the half when it comes up. Yay! A goal to work towards! But now what? I’ve asked for tips on how to start, but I’ve gotten nothing.  I went to the bookstore to see if there’s a book that kind of spells it out for idiots like me, but I didn’t find one. I’ve got this walking stuff down as long as it’s on an even surface and there aren’t stairs involved. You throw in walking on dirt and an uneven hill or even the stairs leading up to my apartment and I’m screwed. So I guess it’s just going to be me holding onto the handles of the elliptical for dear life until I get the hang of it. Ouch. My eye hurts like crap. Back to the point of this. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about getting back in the swing of this fitness thing? I have to be careful because I’ve dropped some weight and it’s not coming back the way I would expect it to. I don’t feel good about my body this way, so I certainly don’t want to go and burn more calories than I’m able to keep in every day. I know it makes sense to hire a trainer. I get it. I’m doing my best to keep as much money in my account as I can because I’ve learned through this that you never know what to expect. I don’t want to be caught off guard and have additional stress added to it. So I’m asking if anyone has a good book or resource or tips they can offer up to help me get this ball rolling.

Secondly, in relation to this, people in the DFW area, I need recommendations from you for the best, most affordable place to get my front windows tinted on my car. Sunglasses hurt my head, so something’s gotta give. I’ve needed to do this anyway to protect the interior of my car from fading, but I’ve not. But now that I have a hard time wearing sunglasses, I need all the help I can get. I want them as dark as legally allowed and I don’t want those nasty cheap tint job bubbles popping up in 3 months. I could go to the store and buy tint and do that myself maybe. I’ve never gotten tinting on a vehicle, so I don’t know the right questions to ask or where to even start with the googling on this one. I know people LOVE sharing their knowledge of cars and stuff like I love sharing what I know about music, so I’m asking. Please share.

Here’s another question. Dang I’m needy. I have this blog set up and it gets a lot of hits. But I link it from my Facebook pages. Facebook is smart and limits the reach of a post based on the posts before it, I guess. Until my blog becomes a part of people’s routine, I need a way of making sure the link is seen and clicked on so that I can take the blog thing to the next level. I out it in “About Me” on my Like Page and it’s there, but it doesn’t exactly POP like I want it to. I know that a lot of people have blogs or know people with them and have some knowledge of how to make it more successful than it already is. I spoke to a very smart guy the other day about my book idea and he said that step one is to make this blog take off. So that’s what I need to do. Facebook is great for getting your name out there, but they’re also great at making money. Money I’m not going to spend if I don’t have to.


So there you have it. I need your help!!!! Please and thank you. I feel like I’ve got so much that is just trapped and stuck and has nowhere to go that if I don’t make some changes, I’m gonna explode. This blog is me genuinely saying that I’m human and I’m about .314 cm from my breaking point and I’m leaning on your guys…people I don’t know necessarily but somehow have enough of a bond with that you feel like you know me…to help me. You have my thanks in advance.

6 comments:

  1. Hello. I live in LA I listen to u everyday via iheartradio! A good way to get exposure for ur blog is make a eye catching banner with the link and randomly ask people with other successful blogs/pages to post it. That's all I got for now. And as far as fitness excercise videos are the best. Comfort of ur own home and u can set your own paces..many many availableon YouTube for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I found this article. It might be good for a start.

    http://running.competitor.com/2013/10/injury-prevention/returning-to-running-after-an-injury_52215

    Also, I would think you'd have a physical therapist. If not, you should check with your surgeon or GP about a training regimen or advice.

    As to window-tinting, if no one more local pops up with a response, here's a link to reviews for Dallas on Yelp.

    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Car+Tint&find_loc=Dallas%2C+TX

    Cheek your chin up. There are people praying for you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try looking into the Dallas Running Club. They have great coaches and could help get you a weekly training schedule and a running group that you could run with on scheduled nights of the week. http://www.dallasrunningclub.com/

    All else fails, here's a good 12-week training schedule that starts you off slow.
    http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html

    There's also iphone apps with these same type of training schedules. You wear your earbuds while running and a voice will come on and tell you to walk - then run - walk again, etc - until you build up stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the window film I would recommend Earmark Car Audio. They have applied tint to two different vehicles of mine and I have always been happy with the work. They do a professional job and the window film is the best you can get. Their film has a lifetime warranty, so if a piece starts to peel or something like that, they will replace it free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.foamglow.com/#!foam-glow-5k---dallas/c249w

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, I have helped many, many people train.for full and half marathons. some have had no fitness background, some have. Id love to help you. No catch, no fees, no crazy fitness program attached. Email me at jessicadevenny@kw.com and I will email you a program to complete your half. :)

    ReplyDelete